Professor Ahu Tatli
Professor of International Human Resource Management
Email: email@example.comTelephone: +44 (0)20 7882 2698Room Number: Mile End, Bancroft Building, Room 4.26A
Student drop-in and feedback hours
Monday 2-3pm and 4-5pm
Director of PhD Programmes
Research Library Liaison Officer
Teaching Group 2 Convenor
Ahu's research interests are in the field of equality and diversity in organisations with a particular focus on multilevel exploration of agentic power and strategies of the key actors in the field. Her research work has investigated the equality and diversity agenda in public and private sector organisations in different industries including recruitment, manufacturing, and creative and cultural industries. Her recent research includes two Equal Opportunities Commission (EOC) funded projects on 'Developing a Diagnostic Check for Equality' and on 'Opening up Opportunities through Private Sector Recruitment and Guidance Agencies' and a research project on 'Work Placement Practices within the Creative and Cultural Industries', which was funded by the Arts Council England (with Mustafa Ozbilgin, University of East Anglia). She has also led a quantitative investigation of the state of diversity management practices in the UK. This research is sponsored by the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD).
Dr Tatli is currently on the editorial board of the British Journal of Management and Equality, Diversity and Inclusion.
Practitioner publications and Research Reports
- Özbilgin, M. and Tatli, A. (2008) Work Placement Toolkit for Students, Universities and Arts and Cultural Organisations. London: ACE/LCACE.
- Özbilgin, M. and Tatli A. (2007) Opening up Opportunities through Private Sector Recruitment and Guidance Agencies. Working Paper Series, 50. Manchester: EOC.
- Tatli, A., Ozbilgin, M., Worman, D. and Price, E. (2007) Diversity in Business, A Focus for Progress. London: CIPD.
- Tatli, A., Ozbilgin, M., Mulholland, G. and Worman, D. (2006) Managing Diversity Measuring Success. London: CIPD.
- Tatli, A., Ozbilgin, M., Worman, D. and Price, E. (2006) Diversity in Business, How Much Progress Have Employers Made? London: CIPD.
- Ozbilgin, M. and Tatli, A. (2006) Developing a Diagnostic Check for Equality. Manchester: EOC.
- Ozbilgin, M. and Tatli, A. (2006) Scoping of London Based Higher Education Institute Work Placement Practices within the Creative and Cultural Industries: research report. London: LCACE.
- Healy, G., Kirton, G., Ozbilgin, M., Calveley, M., Forson, C., Oikelome, F. and Tatli, A. (2006) Assessment Centres for Judicial Appointments and Diversity. London: DCA.
Research grants and awards
- Co-Investigator (2013) Business case for diversity. Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) / Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC). (£30,000)
- Principal Investigator (2011-2012) ‘The scope and consequences of compulsory heterosexuality in Turkey for employment and life experiences of LGBT individuals’, funded by Queen Mary, University of London (School of Business and Management seed-corn funding). (£6,500)
- Co- Investigator (2007-2008) ‘Developing a Toolkit for Employability in the Creative and Cultural Enterprises in the UK’, funded by the Arts Council England. (£25,000)
- Co-Investigator (2006- 2007) ‘Scoping Study of Work Placement Practices in the Creative and Cultural Industries in London’, funded by the London Centre for Arts and Cultural Exchange. (£5,675)
- Principal Investigator (2006) ‘Diversity Management: state of the nation’, funded by the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development. (£7,000)
- Co-Investigator (2006) ‘From Local to Global Art: career journeys of global artists’, funded by the London Centre for Arts and Cultural Exchange.
- Co-Investigator (2006) ‘Developing a Diagnostic Equality Check’, funded by the Equal Opportunities Commission. (£39,345)
- Co-Investigator (2006) ‘Equal Opportunities in Private Sector Employment and Advice Agencies’, funded by the Equal Opportunities Commission. (£9,970)
- Full Doctoral Studentship (2005-2008), funded by Queen Mary, University of London.
- Full MA Studentship (1999-2000) in Political Science, funded by Bilkent University, Turkey.
- Kakabadse, N., Tatli, A., Nicolopoulou, K., Tankibayeva, A. and Mouraviev, N. (2017). A Gender Perspective on Entrepreneurial Leadership: Female Leaders in Kazakhstan. European Management Review.
- Tatli, A., Ozturk, M. and Woo, H. (2016). Individualization and Marketization of Responsibility for Gender Equality: The Case of Female Managers in China. Human Resource Management, 56(3), pp.407-430.
- Ozturk, M. and Tatli, A. (2015). Gender identity inclusion in the workplace: broadening diversity management research and practice through the case of transgender employees in the UK. The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 27(8), pp.781-802.
- Tatli, A., Nicolopoulou, K., Özbilgin, M., Karatas-Ozkan, M. and Öztürk, M. (2014). Questioning impact: interconnection between extra-organizational resources and agency of equality and diversity officers. The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 26(9), pp.1243-1258.
- Özbilgin, M. & Tatli, A. (forthcoming) Four approaches to accounting for diversity in global organisations. Critical Perspectives on Accounting.
- Nentwich, J., Özbilgin, M., & Tatli, A. (forthcoming) Change agency as embodiment and performance: exploring the possibilities and limits of Butler and Bourdieu. Culture and Organization.
- Tatli, A., Özbilgin, M., Vassilopoulou, J., Forson, C. & Slutskaya, N. (2014) A Relational Perspective for Entrepreneurship Research. Journal of Small Business Management, 52(4): 615-632
- Al-Ariss, A., Tatli, A., Özbilgin, M., Swan, E. & April, K. (2014) Tackling Whiteness in Organizations and Management. Journal of Managerial Psychology, 29(4): 362-369
- Tatli, A., Vassilopoulou, J., & Özbilgin, M. (2013) An unrequited affinity between talent shortages and untapped female potential: The relevance of gender quotas for talent management in high growth potential economies of the Asia Pacific region. International Business Review, 22: 539-553.
- Jonsen, K., Tatli, A., Özbilgin, M. & Bell, M.P. (2013) The Tragedy of Uncommons: reframing workforce diversity, Human Relations, 66: 271–294.
- Tatli, A., Vassilopoulou, J., Al Ariss, A. & Özbilgin, M. (2012) The role of regulatory and temporal context in the construction of diversity discourses: The case of the UK, France and Germany. European Journal of Industrial Relations, 18: 293-308.
- Tatli, A. (2012) On the Power and Poverty of Critical (Self) Reflection in Critical Management Studies. British Journal of Management, 23: 22-30.
- Tatli, A., & Özbilgin, M. (2012) Surprising intersectionalities of inequality and privilege: the case of the arts and cultural sector. Equality, Diversity and Inclusion: An International Journal, 31: 249-265. (Invited contribution to Joan Acker Special Issue) Emerald 2013 Highly Commended Paper Award
- Tatli, A. & Özbilgin, M. (2012) An emic approach to intersectional study of diversity at work: A Bourdieuan framing. International Journal of Management Reviews, 14: 180-200.
- Klarsfeld, A. Ng, E & Tatli, A. (2012) Social Regulation and Diversity Management: Findings from France, Canada, and the UK. European Journal of Industrial Relations, 18: 309-327.
- Tatli, A. (2011) A Multi-layered exploration of the diversity management field: diversity discourses, practices and practitioners in the UK. British Journal of Management, 22: 238-253.
- Özbilgin, M. & Tatli, A. (2011) Mapping out the field of equality and diversity: Rise of individualism and voluntarism. Human Relations, 64: 1229 – 1258.
- Özbilgin, M., Beauregard, T.A., Tatli, A. & Bell, M.P. (2011) Work-Life, Diversity and Intersectionality: A Critical Review and Research Agenda. International Journal of Management Reviews, 13: 177-198.
- Bridgstock, R., Lettice, F., Özbilgin, M. & Tatli, A. (2010) Diversity management for innovation in social enterprises. Entrepreneurship and Regional Development, 22: 557-574.
- Tatli, A., & Özbilgin, M. (2009) Understanding Diversity Managers’ Role in Organizational Change: Towards a Conceptual Framework. Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences, 26: 244-258.
- Nicolopoulou, K., Karatas-Ozkan, M., & Tatli, A. (2007) Global Knowledge Work and Workers - New Directions from Diversity and Equality Perspectives. Equal Opportunities International, 26(8), 737-742.
- Özbilgin, M & Tatli, A. (2005) Understanding Bourdieu’s Contribution to Organization and Management Studies. Academy of Management Review 30(4), 855-877.
- Tatli, A. (2008). Book review: The Fordism of Ford and Modern Management: Fordism and Post-Fordism. Work, Employment and Society, 22(1).
- Tatli, A.(2007) Book review: Handbook of Workplace Diversity. Equal Opportunities International, 25(2).
- Özbilgin, M., Tatli, A. and Jonsen, K. (forthcoming) Global Diversity Management, 2nd Edition. London and New York: Palgrave.
- Tatli, A., Özbilgin, M. and Karatas-Ozkan, M. (eds.) (forthcoming) Pierre Bourdieu’s Sociology meets Management and Organisation Studies. Routledge.
- Klarsfeld, A., Booysen, L., Ng, E., Roper, I. & Tatli, A. (eds.) (2014) International Handbook on Diversity Management at Work, 2nd Edition. Edward Elgar.
- Nicolopoulou, K., Karataş-Ozkan, M., Tatli, A., and Taylor, J. (eds.) (2011) Global Knowledge Work: Diversity and Relational Perspectives. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
- Özbilgin, M. and Tatli, A. (2008) Global Diversity Management: An Evidence-Based Approach. London and New York: Palgrave.
- Ozturk, M., Tatli, A., & Özbilgin, M. (forthcoming) Thinking global - acting local. Diversity management in multinational companies and small business. In Bendl, R., Bleijenbergh, I., Henttonen, E., & Mills, A.J. (eds.) The Oxford Handbook of Diversity in Organisations. Oxford University Press.
- Tatli, A., Jonsen, K., Karatas-Ozkan, M., Özbilgin, M., Nicolopoulou, K., Amaeshi, K., Atewologun, A. and Beauregard, A. (forthcoming) Reciprocity as a Way forward for Corporate Social Responsibility and Diversity Management Research. In K. Nicolopoulou, M. Karatas-Ozkan, & M. Özbilgin (eds.), Corporate social responsibility and human resource management: diversity perspective, Edward Elgar.
- Roper, I. & Tatli, A. (forthcoming) Recent developments in the equality and diversity agenda in the UK: the ‘big society’ under austerity. In Klarsfeld, A. et al. (eds.) International Handbook on Diversity Management at Work, 2nd Edition. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
- Jonsen, K., Tatli, A., and Özbilgin, M. (2014) Equal Opportunity. In Den Hartog D. & Vodosek M. (eds.) Wiley Encyclopaedia of Management (3rd ed.), Volume 6 International Management. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Forson, C., Özbilgin, M., Ozturk, M. and Tatli, A. (2014) Multi-level analysis and multi-methods strategies in entrepreneurship research. Chell, E. and Karataş-Ozkan, M. (eds.) Handbook of Research in Small Business and Entrepreneurship. Edward Elgar.
- Tatli, A., Berry, D., Ipek, G. and April, K. (2014) Self-initiation: case studies from North America and Africa. In Özbilgin, M. (ed.) International Human Resource Management. Cambridge University Press.
- Özbilgin, M., Vassilopoulou, J., Jonsen, K., and Tatli, A. (2014) Multiculturalism at work. In Thomas, K. M; Plaut, V. and Tran, M. (Eds) Diversity Ideologies in Organizations. Taylor-Francis.
- Özbilgin, M.F., Jonsen, K., Vassilopoulou, J., Tatli, A., and Surgevil, O. (2013) Global diversity management. Roberson, Q. (ed.) Oxford Handbook of Research on Diversity at Work. Oxford University Press.
- Nicolopoulou, K., Karataş-Ozkan, M., Tatli, A., and Taylor, J., (2011) An introduction to global knowledge work as a relational phenomenon. In Nicolopoulou, K., Karataş-Ozkan, M., Tatli, A., and Taylor, J. (eds.) Global Knowledge Work: Diversity and Relational Perspectives. Edward Elgar.
- Tatli, A. and Alasia, S. (2010) Different sources of capitals as strategic resources: Theoretical and Practitioner Perspectives. In Healy, G., Kirton, G. and Noon, M. (eds.) Equality, Inequalities and Diversity: from global to local, Palgrave.
- Tatli, A. (2010) Discourses and Practices of Diversity Management in the UK. In Klarsfeld, A. (ed.) International Handbook on Diversity Management at Work: Country Perspectives on Diversity and Equal Treatment. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
- Özbilgin, M. and Tatli, A. (2009) Career Constraint in the Creative and Cultural Industries in London. In Malach-Pines, A. and Ozbilgin, M. (eds.) Career Choice in Management and Entrepreneurship: a research companion. London: Edward Elgar.
- Özbilgin, M. and Tatli, A. (2009) Agency in Management of Change: relationality, situatedness and foresight. Costanzo, L.A. and MacKay, R.B. (eds.) The Handbook of Research in Strategy and Foresight. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
- Tatli, A., Özbilgin, M. and Küskü, F. (2008) Gendered Occupational Outcomes: the case of professional training and work in Turkey. In Eccles, J. and Watt, H. (eds.), Explaining Gendered Occupational Outcomes. Michigan: APA Press.
- Tatli, A. and Özbilgin, M. (2008) Diversity Management as Calling: Sorry, it’s the wrong number! In Koall, I., Bruchhagen, V. and Höher, F. (eds.) Diversity Outlooks - Managing Diversity. Hamburg: LIT-Verlag Münster.
- Tatli, A. (2005) Strategic aspects of international human resource management. In Ozbilgin, M. (ed.) International Human Resource Management. London: Palgrave.
Current Doctoral Students
- Manesha Peiris, 'Social media and the entrepreneurial female identity'
- Ranjita Neogi, 'Financial access, regulatory priorities and social attitude: Exploring South-Asian migrant women led SMEs and small business ventures in the United Kingdom'
- Zinabu Shaibu, 'An investigation of Talent Management (TM) in the Public Sector of Ghana’s Scholarship Awarding Institutions: Ministry of Education Scholarship Secretariat, Ministry of Energy and the Ghana Education Trust Fund (GETFund)'
- Sabeen Ahmed
- Irawati Parnekar
PhD Supervision Completitions
- Ms Gulce Ipek – Co-Supervisor
Privilege, careers and the British civil service
- Mr. Clifford Lewis - Co-Supervisor
Intersectionality of Race and Gender in Leadership in South African Context