Dr Patrick McGurk
Senior Lecturer in Management Practice / Director of Skills and Employer Engagement
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Telephone: +44(0) 20 7882 5977Room Number: Room 3.03B Bancroft Building, Mile End Campus
Student drop-in and feedback hours
Director of Skills and Employer Engagement (School of Business and Management)
Senior Lecturer in Management Practice
Patrick leads on student skills- and career-development and employer engagement for the School of Business and Management.
Patrick was previously Head of Human Resources and Organisational Behaviour at the University of Greenwich and has several years of experience of management education for corporate clients across multiple sectors in the UK and Germany.
At QMUL, Patrick teaches various modules concerned with leadership and management practice at undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
Patrick has a PhD from the London School of Economics, and holds a Dipl. Betriebswirt, BA Hons, MA and PGCE (Postgraduate Certificate in Education).
Patrick is an appointed member of the Mayor of London’s Skills for Londoners Stakeholder Advisory Group.
BUS243 Responsible Leadership
BUS344 Mentoring and Coaching
BUSM149 Leadership in the Social and Public Sectors
Employment and skills, including apprenticeships and welfare-to-work; employer engagement; leadership and management, particularly in the public services.
- Van Berkel, R., Ingold, J., McGurk, P., Boselie, P., Bredgaard, T. (2017) "Editorial introduction: An introduction to employer engagement in the field of HRM. Blending insights from social policies and human resource policies", Human Resource Management Journal, 27(4), Special Issue ‘Employer engagement: connecting social policies and human resource policies for vulnerable labour market groups’. doi/10.1111/1748-8583.12169
- McGurk, P and Allen, M. (2016) ‘Apprenticeships in England: impoverished but laddered’, Institute of Construction Economics Research, Michigan State University, Research Report available at: www.iceres.org/research .
- McGurk, P. (2014) ‘Employer engagement with active labour market policy: a human resource management perspective’, University of Greenwich Business School Working Paper Series (#WERU7), May 2014, available at: http://gala.gre.ac.uk/11454/ .
- Gornostaeva, G and McGurk, P. (2013) ‘Olympic Volunteering for the Unemployed: who benefits and how?’ International Journal of Employment Studies, 21(1): 5-30.
- McGurk, P. (2013) ‘Management and leadership development in public service organisations’. In: Burke, R., Noblet, A. and C. Cooper (eds) Human resource management in the public sector, Cheltenham: Edward Elgar, 153-76.
- McGurk, P. (2011) ‘Leaders in public service organisations’. In: Corby, S & Symon, G (eds) Working for the State: Employment Relations in the Public Services, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 166-188.
- McGurk, P. (2010) ‘Outcomes of Management and Leadership Development’, Journal of Management Development, 29 (5): 457-70. DOI: 10.1108/02621711011039222
- McGurk, P. (2009) ‘Developing middle leaders? The realities of management and leadership development for public managers’, International Journal of Public Sector Management, 22 (6): 464-77. DOI: 10.1108/09513550910982841 (Highly Commended Paper in the Emerald Literati Network Awards for Excellence 2010).
- Richard Meredith ‘Employer engagement with government employment and skills initiatives (University of Greenwich)
- Matthew Cook ‘Leadership development in the Fire and Rescue Service’ (QMUL).