Professor Annita Florou
Professor of Accounting
Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgTelephone: +44 (0) 20 7882 2709Room Number: Room 4.22B, Bancroft Building, Mile End Campus
Annita Florou is Professor of Accounting at the School of Business and Management. She specialises in financial reporting and international accounting/auditing. Prior to joining Queen Mary, Annita was a Reader of Accounting at King’s College London. She holds a BA in Accounting and Finance from University of Macedonia (Greece), an MBA from Manchester Business School and a Ph.D from Warwick Business School. On completion of her studies she obtained the position of post-doctoral Research Fellow at London Business School. Her research has been supported by several funding bodies including the ESRC and the European Commission. Professor Florou serves on the Editorial Board of Contemporary Accounting Research and Accounting Horizons. She also serves as the Academic Advisor and member of the Research Advisory Board at the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW).
- Contemporary Issues in Accounting (BUSM061)
- Research Methods in Accounting (BUSM143)
- Auditor Regulation; Audit Pricing; Audit Quality
- Financial Reporting Enforcement
- Capital Market Consequences of IFRS Adoption
- Corporate Governance Effectiveness; Executive Compensation
- Florou, A., U. Kosi, and P. Pope (2017). Are international accounting standards more credit relevant than domestic standards? Accounting and Business Research, 47 (1), 1-29.
- Florou, A. and U. Kosi (2015). Does mandatory IFRS adoption facilitate debt financing? Review of Accounting Studies, 20 (4), 1407-1456.
- Florou, A. and P. Pope (2012). Mandatory IFRS adoption and institutional investment decisions, The Accounting Review, 87 (6), 1993-2025.
- Florou, A. (2010). The role of taxes in compensation: A case of shareholder expropriation, European Accounting Review, 19 (2), 343-374.
- Florou, A. and P. Pope (2008). Are boards and institutional investors active monitors? Evidence from CEO dismissal, Managerial Auditing Journal, 23 (9), 862-872 (2009 Awards Excellence – Highly Commended Award Winner).
- Florou, A. (2008). A discussion of managerial entrenchment and corporate social performance, Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, 35 (5-6), 790-793.
- Florou, A. and G. Galarniotis (2007). Benchmarking Greek corporate governance structures and disclosures, Corporate Governance: An International Review, 15 (5), 979-998.
- Conyon, M. and A. Florou (2006). The pattern of investment surrounding CEO retirements: UK evidence, British Accounting Review, 38 (1), 299-319.
- Florou, A. (2005). Top director shake-up: The link between Chairman and CEO dismissal, Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, 32 (1-2), 97-128.
- Florou, A. (2005). A discussion of performance of private to public MBOs: The role of venture capital, Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, 32 (3-4), 683-690.
- Florou, A. (2004). The design of bonuses and its implications for investment choices, Journal of Corporate Ownership and Control, 1 (2), 150-155.
- Florou, A. (2003). Trends and developments in top management teams: Evidence from UK panel data. Corporate Governance Journal, 2 (1), 29-33.
- Conyon, M. and A. Florou (2002). Top executive dismissal, ownership and corporate performance, Accounting and Business Research, 32 (4), 209-226.
Current Doctoral Students
- Yuan Shuai
- Mariam Al-Sabah
- Hao Lan
PhD Supervision Completions (1st supervisor/joint supervision)
- Urska Kosi (2010)
- Vesela Grozeva (2010)
- ICAEW: Academic advisor and member of the Research Advisory Board