Dr Evangelos Markopoulos
Associate Lecturer in Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Email: email@example.comTelephone: 020 7882 8570Room Number: Mile End, Bancroft Building, Room 4.24
Staff drop-in and feedback hours
Coordinator of the Hult Prize Award for Social Entrepreneurship
Dr Evangelos Markopoulos is an expert, entrepreneur and scholar on Process and Project Management, Enterprise Engineering, Knowledge Management and Innovation & Entrepreneurship. He holds a BA in Computer Science from Hunter College of the City University of New York, an MSc on Computer Science with concentration in Artificial Intelligence, from New York University Polytechnic Institute and an PhD on ICT Project and Investments Management from the University of Piraeus (Greece). As a Computer Scientist he worked mainly in the USA and at ΙΒΜ, at Siemens and at Bell Laboratories of AT&T. In his Academic career he taught (Mathematics, Computer Science and Business Managmerent) as Adjunct Professor, and worked as a Research Rellow in research & development programs and initiatives, in Universities and Technical Institutions in the US, UK, Finland and Greece. As an innovative entrepreneur and businessman later, he established and managed the EMPROSS Group of companies from: EMPROSS Strategic IT Consultants, Athens, Greece (Project Management), Sparthink Technologies, San Francisco (Innovation and Apps Development), ANDgate Technologies, Nicosia, Cyprus (Enterprise Engineering) and SmartGATE, Cairo, Egypt (Knowledge and Innovation Management). He invested and developed a number of technologies, patents and innovations in Process and Project Management and Engineering, turning them all into applicable products and services.
Dr Evangelos Markopoulos main research interest and current research work is on knowledge management, innovation and entrepreneurship. The last seven years he conductes research and publishes his work on the development of the Company Democracy model.
The Company Democracy model is a technology and methodology of creating business data, information and knowledge that contributes to the development of insights, ideas, innovations, which in turn create competitive advantages necessary to achieve extroversion and modern entrepreneurship, but also intrapreneurship (corporate entrepreneurship). The model is executed through a framework in which an organizational evolutionary spiral method is used for the creation and execution of knowledge-based democratic cultures for effective organizational knowledge-based management and leadership. The six level co-evolutionary spiral method in the model contributes towards the identification and achievement of the capacity, capability, competence, and maturity needed to turn information, data and knowledge into insights and innovations.
This spiral process is based on the idea of the degree of democracy in organizations. The model is directed towards the creation of an organizational knowledge-based culture that constantly contributes to the organization by transforming organizational tacit knowledge into explicit knowledge. The model has been designed to implement a multidisciplinary approach of management and engineering sciences. It emphasizes on the degree each discipline is executed based on the maturity and capability of the organization. It is a systemic way of activating individuals to the most important activities inside the company, giving their best for the company and themselves.
Specific areas of research interests and expertise:
- Project Management & Engineering : Project & process Engineering, project & process management, Requirements engineering and management, contract management, tender management, cost management, quality assurance, program management, project cost management, risk management, acquisition management, business process re-engineering.
- Knowledge & Innovation Management: Knowledge management, knowledge elicitation and utilization, innovation brokerage, innovation business planning, startUp establishment and management financing innovation, corporate Knowledge management, talent management, intellectual capital management, innovation promotion and dissemination, internationalization and globalization management, organizational cultures and ecosystems, knowledge Intelligence (KI)
- Enterprise Architecture & Engineering: Knowledge based organizational strategy and leadership, Corporate co-opetitive and co-evolute culture development, organizational competitiveness management, dynamic organizational structures development & management, extroversion, internationalization & globalization management, technocratic investments strategy, business operations & management process gamification, gamified organizational management, business digital transformation, technocratic investments strategy, business intelligence (BI), corporate gamification, Internet of Things (IoT).
- ‘Mapping the Monetization Challenge of Gaming in Various Domains’. Markopoulos E., Markopoulos P., Luimula M. (2018) Accepted at the 9th International Conference on Applied Human Factors and Ergonomics, July 22-26, 2018 USA.
- ‘An Agile Process Improvement Framework Operations Model for Managing Digital Transformation’, Markopoulos E., Rukare D. Accepted at the 9th International Conference on Applied Human Factors and Ergonomics, July 22-26, 2018 USA.
- ‘A Socratic Approach for Creative Thinking for Problem Solving with Applied Philosophy’. Markopoulos E., Vanharanta H. Accepted at the 9th International Conference on Applied Human Factors and Ergonomics, July 22-26, 2018 USA.
- ‘Digital cultural strategies within the context of digital humanities economics’. Markopoulos E. Accepted at the 9th International Conference on Applied Human Factors and Ergonomics, July 22-26, 2018 USA.
- ‘Degree of Agility in a Technology Company's Strategy, Management and Leadership’. Vanharanta H., Kantola J., Markopoulos E., Salo M., Einolander J., Hanhisalo T. Accepted at the International Conference of Organization Development in Turbulent Environment. April 19-21 2018, WROCŁAW, POLAND
- ‘Democratic Governmental Entrepreneurship via Intrapreneurship’. Markopoulos E.,Vanharanta H. Accepted at the International Conference of Organization Development in Turbulent Environment. April 19-21 2018, WROCŁAW, POLAND
- ‘Safety Culture and Collective Commitment in Organizational Context’, Jarno Einolander, Jussi Kantola, Hannu Vanharanta, Evangelos Markopoulos. AHFE 2017: Advances in Human Factors, Business Management and Leadership. pp 148-159
- ‘Gamification. Revolutionizing Digital Strategies’ Markopoulos, A. Markopoulos, P. Markopoulos, M. Luimila. The Journal of Ports and Terminals, Volume 74, Pp 135-136
- Gamification Reshapes the Global Economy: From Industrial Revolution to the Global Knowledge Revolution’., E. Markopoulos, A. Markopoulos, P. Markopoulos. Luimila. Port Technology International Journal. Electronic Edition, Volume 73: February 2017.
- ‘Project Teaming in Democratic Company Context’. Evangelos Markopoulos, Hannu Vanharanta. Submitted to the Theoretical Issues in Ergonomics Science (TIES) Journal. October 2016
- ‘Democratic Governmental Entrepreneurship via Intrapreneurship’. Evangelos Markopoulos, Hannu Vanharanta. Submitted to the Theoretical Issues in Ergonomics Science (TIES) Journal. September 2016
- ‘The Applied Philosophy Concept for Management and Leadership through the Company Democracy Model’. Hannu Vanharanta, Evangelos Submitted to the Theoretical Issues in Ergonomics Science (TIES) Journal. September 2016
- ‘Space for Company Democracy’, Evangelos Markopoulos, Hannu Vanharanta. Advances in Human Factors, Business Management, Training and Education. Volume 498 of the series Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing pp 275-287, Springer, July 2016
- ‘Delphic Maxims based Applied Philosophy for Business and Governance Management’. Evangelos Markopoulos, Hannu Vanharanta. Advances in Human Factors, Business Management, Training and Education, Volume 498 of the series Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing pp 33-45, Springer, July 2016
- ‘Degree of Agility with an Ontology Based Application’, Markku Salo, Evangelos Markopoulos, Hannu Vanharanta, Jussi Kantola.. Advances in Human Factors, Business Management, Training and Education, Volume 498 of the series Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing pp 1007-1018, Springer, July 2016
- ‘Project Based Organizational Strategy: The Technocratic Enterprise Engineering Approach’, Evangelos Markopoulos, Branislav Zagorsek, Hannu Vanharanta, Vladimir Bolek, Tatiana Hrivikova. Proceedings of the7th International Conference on Applied Human Factors and Ergonomics (AHFE), July 2016, Orlando, USA
- ‘Corporate Gamification’, Evangelos Markopoulos, Panos Markopoulos, Economic Review, September 2015, Athens Greece
- ‘Ontology based Taxonomies for the Interpretation of the Delphic Maxims as Applied Philosophy in Business and Governance Management’, Markopoulos Evangelos, Ioannis Kornilakis, Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Management, Marketing and Finances (MMF '15). Seoul, KOREA, September 5-7, 2015
- ‘The United States gains the best of the european intellectual capital’, Evangelos Markopoulos, Economic Review, October 2015, Athens Greece
- ‘Company Democracy Model for Development of Shared Value’, Markopoulos Evangelos, Vanharanta Hannu. Elsevier, Procedia Manufacturing, Volume 3, Pages 603-610, 2015
- ‘World Innovation Stock Exchange Organizatipon for Individuals, Business and Society’, Markopoulos Evangelos, Vanharanta Hannu. Elsevier, Procedia Manufacturing, Volume 3, 2015, Pages 595-602, 2015
- ‘Frameworks and Paradigms for the World Innovation Stock Exchange and the WhyNot Innovation Labs’. Markopoulos Evangelos, Vanharanta Hannu. Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Innovation and Management, November 17-19, 2014, Vaasa, Finland. ed. / Liu Yang; Jussi Kantola; Arnoldo de Hoyos; Ken Kaminishi; Geert Duysters. Wuhan, China : Wuhan University of Technology Press, 2014. p. 1046-1054.
- ‘Democratic Culture Paradigm for Organizational Management and Leadership Strategies - The Company Democracy Model.‘ Markopoulos Evangelos, Vanharanta Hannu. Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Applied Human Factors and Ergonomics AHFE 2014, Kraków, Poland 19-23 July 2014
- ‘Creating a Dynamic Democratic Company Culture for Leadership, Innovation and Competitiveness’. Markopoulos Evangelos, Vanharanta Hannu, 3rd Hellenic-Russian Forum. September 17, 2013, Athens, Greece.
- ‘Human Perception, Interpretation, Understanding and Communication of Company Democracy’ Markopoulos Evangelos, Vanharanta Hannu. 14th International and interdisciplinary Conference of the Research Cooperation. European Cultures in Business and Corporate Communication (EUCO14), 23-25 October 2014, Turku, Finland
- ‘Teamwork in Safety Culture on a Practical Occupational Level in Four Different European Union Member States’,Piirto Antti, Einolander Jarno, Vanharanta Hannu, Kantola Jussi, Markopoulos, Evangelos, Bilbao Javier, Odrakiewicz Peter. IWOT International Conference on Team working, September 18-14 2014, Girona Spain.
- ‘Software Project Volume Sizing for Tracking Software Intensive Investments and Business Initiatives’, Evangelos Markopoulos, Nikolitsa Bouzoukou, Georgios Alexopoulos, Javier Bilbao. Proceedings of the Applied Computing Conference 2009 (ACC09). pg. 633-638. September 28-30, 2009, Athens, Greece.
- ‘Measuring Financial and Business Operation Impacts, of Software Project Initiatives and Investments, using Project Tracking MarkPoints on the Project Volume',Evangelos Markopoulos, Nikolitsa Bouzoukou, Georgios Alexopoulos, Javier Bilbao. WSEAS Transactions on Business and Economics, Issue 10, Volume 6, pg 523-532, October 2009.
- ‘Software Project Tracking Metrics Analysis Model Based on Project Requirements’,Evangelos Markopoulos, Georgios Alexopoulos, Nikolitsa Bouzoukou, Javier Bilbao. Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Mathematical Methods & Computational Techniques in Electrical Engineering (MMACTEE09). Pg. 627-632. September 28-30, 2009, Athens, Greece.
- ‘Project Tracking using a Metrics Binder Analysis (MBA) Model on Software Project Initiatives (SPI)’ ,Evangelos Markopoulos, Georgios Alexopoulos, Nikolitsa Bouzoukou, Javier Bilbao. WSEAS Transactions on Business and Economics, Issue 10, Volume 6, pg 513-522, October 2009.
- ‘Renewable Energy Sources (RES) Utilization and Adaptation Technologies using Artificial Intelligence Expert Systems to Support and Secure RES Projects, Investments and Initiatives’,Markopoulos Evangelos, Vassilakaki Pelagia, Markopoulos Angelos, Delenta Maria-Eleni, Bouzoukou Nikolitsa, Alexopoulos Georgios. DISTRES Conference on the promotion of distributed Renewable Energy Sources in the Mediterranean Region. Nicosia Cyprus, December 11-12, 2009.
- ‘Project Management Stage Mutations within Agile Methodological Framework Process Transformations’, Evangelos Markopoulos, Javier Bilbao Laxantere, Stoilov Todor, Vos, Tanja, Reschwamm Katrin. WSEAS ‘05 International CSCC Conference, 12-16 April, 2008, Beijing, China.
- ‘Project Management Process Framework for Developing and Managing IT Systems’, Evangelos Markopoulos, John Panayiotopoulos, Javier Bilbao Laxantere, Charalambos Makatsoris, Georgios Samaras, Todor Stoilov. 12th WSEAS International Conference on Computers. Vol.1. pg 44-49. July 23-25, 2008, Heraclion Greece.
- ‘ICT Process Development and Evolution Models and the First Financial Bank of Montenegro Case’. Evangelos Markopoulos. The Bankar (Montenegro Bank Association Journal). Issue 1, Vol. 1, May 2008.
- ‘Controlling Project Progress, Management & Cost by Pivoting the Requirements Process’,Evangelos Markopoulos, Javier Bilbao Laxantere, Konditi Dominic. KSEE 2007 International Conference, Nairobi, Kenya, August 2007.
- ‘An evaluation, Correlation and Consolidation of Information Technology Project Management Processes’,Evangelos Markopoulos, Javier Bilbao Laxantere. 1st International Conference on Engineering and Mathematics, Bilbao Spain, July 2006.
- ‘Contemporary Process Flow Management and Hierarchical Structures for Information Technology Units’, Markopoulos Ε., Panayiotopoulos J-C., JASS Journal, December 2005.
- ‘A Project Management Methodology Selection Approach based on Practical Project and Organizational Constraints’, Markopoulos E., Panayiotopoulos J-C., WSEAS Transactions on Computers, Issue 8, Vol. 4, pg 934-942, August 2005.
- ‘Technocratic Enterprise Engineering Using the P-CMM (People – Capability Maturity Model) - A Maturity Framework for Developing Human Talent’, 1stConference on Human Resources Management,Markopoulos E., July 14 2005, Nicosia, Cyprus.
- ‘Contract and Subcontracting Management towards Quality Assurance of Information Systems in the Health Sector’, Markopoulos E., 2ndNational conference on Quality Assurance in the Health Sector. December 8-9 2005, Athens, Greece.
- ‘Methods and Techniques for Information Systems Disaster Recovery in the Banking Sector’, Markopoulos Ε., 1stCyprus Conference of Information Systems and Telecommunications Security, September 27-29 2004, Nicosia, Cuprus.
- ‘Costological Management and Quality Assurance on Managing Defenses Information Systems’, Markopoulos E., May 24 2004, 6ο International Defense Forum, Athens, Greece.
- ‘Contemporary Management Structures in Managing Information Technology Units’, Markopoulos Ε., 15th National Conference of the Hellenic Society of Operations Research, Oct. 2002, Tripoli, Greece.
- ‘Techniques and Practices for Quality Assurance on Information Technology Acquisition Process in the Armed Forces’, Markopoulos E., April 17-18 2002, 4th International Defence Forum, Athens Greece.
- ‘Inspecting Information Systems in the Defence Industry’, Markopoulos Ε., Proceedings of the 4th Defence Forum, March 28, 2001, Athens Greece.
- ‘Next generation collaborative e-commerce technologies as tools for managing supplier quality’, Harry Makatsoris, Evangelos Markopoulos, Panos Lampropoulos , Cyprus Quality Forum, June 26-28, 2001.
- ‘Coding Urological Symptomatology using Artificial Intelligence Knowledge Graphs, Trees and Networks’, E. Markopoulos, M. Geogriadis, N. Anagnostopoulos, Th. Vouterakos. 1stInternational Consultation Conference on Incontinence. June 28 - July 1, 1998, Monaco.
- ‘Implementation of Software Subcontracting Management methods and standards in the Development and Maintenance of Software Intensive Logistics Systems’, Markopoulos Ε., 18th International Logistics Congress, October 6-9 2002, Munich Germany.
- ‘An Empirical Adjustable Software Process Assessment Model for Software Intensive Small and Medium Size Enterprises',Markopoulos Ε., Panayiotopoulos J-C., 7th European Conference on Software Quality. Proceedings of the Conference. Page 16-19. July 10-14 2002 Helsinki, Finland.
- ‘Knowledge Management using Artificial Intellegence Expert Systems to the Diagnosis and Treatment of Cancer in the Urinary Bladder’, Evangelos Markopoulos, Marios Georgiades, Theodoros Vouterakos., 16thNational Conference on Urology. Hellenic Urological Society, Sept. 25-29, 2002, Kalamata, Greece.
- ‘Quality Assurance Best Practices for the Implementation of Logistics Information Technology Systems’, MarkopoulosΕ.,17thInternational Logistics Congress,Oct.16-18,2001 Thessaloniki Greece.
- ‘Approaching The Repeatable Level of the Capability Maturity Model (CMM) through the Assessment Process’, Markopoulos Ε., 4th Cyprus Quality Forum, July 2001m Nicosia Cyprus.
- ‘Quality Assurance Process Towards Managing the Software Development Cycle’, Markopoulos Ε., Kaminaris S., 3rd Cyprus Quality Forum, July 27-30 2000, Nicosia Cyprus.
- ‘Reliability and Maintainability of Information Systems’, Markopoulos Ε., ECO-Q Journal. Issue 24, September 2000
- Quality Assurance as a Tool towards Managing Software Complexity’, Markopoulos Ε., ECO-Q Journal issue 20, February 2000
Dr Evangelos Markopoulos is interested in supervising doctoral research which seeks to explore knowledge based organizational culture, strategy and leadership, as well as innovation and entrepreneurship models and theories.