BUSM137 Introduction to Marketing Management
This module provides an outlook on marketing as a sub-discipline of management studies. It is providing students on the MSc in Management and Management and Organizational Innovation with a theoretical foundation of theories and concepts of marketing management which allows them in their subsequent studies to understand and situate more specialised aspects of marketing (e.g. consumer behaviour, social and political marketing, or business relationships and networks). Special emphasis is given to understanding current academic debates in the field. This means students are expected to read articles independently in leading marketing journals.
40% coursework and 60% examination
Indicative reading list
Kotler/Keller/Brady/Goodman/Hansen (2012, 2nd or later editions), Marketing Management, Pearson, or
Baines/Fill (2014, 3rd or later editions), Marketing, Oxford University Press.
- Bagozzi (1975) Marketing as Exchange, Journal of Marketing, 39, 4, 32-39
- Hunt (1983) General Theories and the Fundamental Explananda of Marketing, Journal of Marketing, 47, 4, 9-17
- Wilkie/Moore (2003) Scholarly Research in Marketing: Exploring the ‘4 Eras’ of Thought Development, Journal of Public Policy & Marketing, 22, 2, 116-146
- Kohli/Jaworski (1990) Market Orientation: The Construct, Research Propositions, and Managerial Implications, Journal of Marketing, 54, 2, 1-18
- Slater/Narver (1999) Market-oriented is More than Being Customer-led, Strategic Management Journal, 20, 12, 1165-1168
- Wagner/Eggert/Lindemann (2010) Creating and Appropriating Value in Collaborative Relationships, Journal of Business Research, 63, 8, 840-848
- Lampel/Mintzberg (1996) Customizing Customization, MIT Sloan Management Review, 1996, 38, 1, 21-30.
- Hunt/Lambe (2000) Marketing’s Contribution to Business Strategy: Market-orientation, Relationship Marketing and Resource-advantage Theory, International Journal of Management Reviews, 2,1, 17-43
- Theodosiou/Leonidou (2003) Standardisation versus Adaptation of International Marketing Strategy: An Integrative Assessment of the Empirical Research, International Business Review, 12,2, 141-171.
- Bolton/Shankar (2003) An Empirically Derived Taxonomy of Retailer Pricing and Promotion Strategies, Journal of Retailing, 79, 213-22
- Morgan/Hunt (1994) The Commitment-Trust Theory of Relationship Marketing, Journal of Marketing, 58, 3, 20-36
- Milberg/Park/McCarthy (1997) Managing Negative Feedback Effects Associated With Brand Extensions: The Impact of Alternative Branding Strategies, Journal of Consumer Psychology, 6, 2, 119-140
- Vargo/Lusch (2004) The Four Service Marketing Myths: Remnants of a Goods-Based, Manufacturing Model, Journal of Service Research, 6, 4, 324-335.
- Lovelock/Gummesson (2004) Whither Services Marketing?: In Search for a New Paradigm and Fresh Perspectives, Journal of Service Research, 7, 1, 20-41.
- Vargo/Lusch (2004) Evolving to a New Dominant Logic for Marketing, Journal of Marketing, 68, 1, 1-17.
- Parasuraman/Zeithaml/Berry (1985) A conceptual model of service quality and its implications for future research, Journal of Marketing, 49, 41-50.
- Parasuraman/Zeithaml/Berry (1988) SERVQUAL: A Multiple-item scale for measuring consumer perceptions of service quality, Journal of Retailing, 64, 1, 12-40.
- Zeithaml/Berry/Parasuraman (1993) The nature and determinants of customer expectations of service, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 21, 1, 1-12.
- Bitner/Booms/Tetreault (1990) The Service Encounter: Diagnosing Favorable and Unfavorable Incidents, Journal of Marketing, 54, 1, 71-84.
- Blodgett/Hill/Tax (1997) The effects of distributive, procedural, and interactional justice on postcomplaint behavior, Journal of Retailing, 73, 2, 185-210,
- Smith/Bolton/Wagner (1999) A Model of Customer Satisfaction with Service Encounters Involving Failure and Recovery, 36, 3, 356-372.
- Dutta/Bergen/Levy/Ritson/Zbaracki (2002) Pricing as a Strategic Capability, MIT Sloan Management Review, April 15, 61-66
- Theodosiou/Katsikeas (2001) Factors Influencing the Degree of International Pricing Strategy Standardization of Multinational Corporations, Journal of International Marketing, 9, 3, 1-18.
- Haws/Bearden (2006) Dynamic Pricing and Consumer Fairness Perceptions, Journal of Consumer Research, 33, 3, 304-311
- Hunt/Vitell (1986) A General Theory of Marketing Ethics, Journal of Macromarketing, 6, 1, 5-16
- Hunt/Vitell (2006) The General Theory of Marketing Ethics: A Revision and Three Questions, Journal of Macromarketing, 26, 2, 143-153
- Gundlach/Murphy (1993) Ethical and Legal Foundations of Relational Marketing Exchanges, Journal of Marketing, 57, 4, 35-46
- Alden/Steenkamp/Batra (1999). Advertising in Asia, North America, and Europe: The Role of Global Consumer Culture, Journal of Marketing, 63, 75-87
- Sheth/Parvatiyar (2001). The Antecedents and Consequences of Integrated Global Marketing, International Marketing Review, 18, 1, 16-29
- Vrontis/Thrassou/Lamprianou (2009) International Marketing Adaptation versus Standardisation of Multinational Companies, International Marketing Review, 26, 4/5, 477–500