Programme code: N1S3
Start date: September 2014
Programme duration: 1 year (full time)
Awarding institution: University of London
We are currently in the process of accrediting our MSc International Human Resource Management course by the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD), the only HR institution in the world to recognise human resource professionals through chartered membership. We expect this to take effect in September 2015, subject to the CIPD’s approval. This will be of great benefit to our perspective students who upon graduation, will be in a position to satisfy the entry requirements for associate membership of CIPD. It will also provide them the opportunity to develop key skills and behaviours that have been identified by CIPD as capturing what successful HR people do.
Fees (2014/15 entry): £10,750 (Home/EU); £16,250 (International). Read more.
o A good upper second class honours degree or equivalent in any subject.
o IELTS 7.0 (writing 6.0) or equivalent is required. Read more.
This research-led programme demonstrates the central importance of professional international human resource management and employment relations to successful and socially responsible business.
This programme combines a critical analysis of cutting-edge theoretical debates with the study of practical applications for managing people in an international setting. You will examine topics such as how globalisation impacts on migrant workforces and what this means for people management; how to understand and analyse complex international employment statistics; how to assess and develop fair and rigorous payment systems suitable for multinational corporations; why expatriate employees often return before the end of their assignment and what steps can be taken to improve their experience and performance and best practice for managing diverse and culturally distinct workforces.
- You will be taught by leading academics who have advised leading industries and public services (e.g. BBC, TUC, Acas, Department of Constitutional Affairs, Equal Opportunities Commission, Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development and Arts Council England) on a wide range of equality and diversity issues in the workplace.
The core module for this programme is:
The compulsory modules for this programme are:
- International Human Resource Management (BUSM015)
- Comparative Employment Relations (BUSM016)
- Managing Diversity (BUSM017)
- Research Methods for Business and Management (BUSM027)
- International Reward Management (BUSM049)
- Organisational Behaviour (BUSM069)
A CORE module must be taken and passed. A COMPULSORY module must be taken.
You will also choose elective modules* from the following:
- Quantitative Research Methods (BUSM014)
- Multinationals and Global Business (BUSM028)
- Knowledge and Innovation Management (BUSM042)
- Occupational Psychology (BUSM055)
- Human Resource Management in the Public Services (BUSM077)
- Management Consulting at Work (BUSM092)
* The range of elective modules may vary from year to year. The School reserves the right to withdraw one or more of the elective modules if there is insufficient student interest.
Teaching for all modules includes a combination of lectures, seminars and virtual learning environment. You can expect 2-3 hours of contact time per module, per week.
A wide range of assessment techniques are used, including coursework (written essays, case studies, interviews, group reports etc), presentations, examinations and a dissertation.
Naomi Britton (Programme Administrator)
Tel: +44 (0)20 7882 6587
Dr. Maria Koumenta (Programme Director)
Tel: +44 (0)20 7882 6925